Monday, October 8, 2012

Sermon for Thanksgiving Sunday - October 7th 2012



We live in a curious time.
We have around us an amazing and truly unbelievable selection of food items, with quantities our forebearers would find unimaginable.
Our stores are stocked with a dizzying array of selections, our fridges, freezers and cupboards are seldome empty. Our society drips in wealth and power and stuff …
Yet, how often have we stood in front of our fridge and pondered its contents and uttered the words: “There’s nothing to eat …” (Hannah says it frequently … not because I’m neglectful and starving my children but because our selection in appropriate and nutritional snacks differs …)
That is the society we live in though … we are surrounded with an incredible quantity and selection of stuff – from food to gadgets and gizmos, and we still feel it is never quite enough …
Sadly, in our country today one of the fast growing sectors of business are the soup kitchen/food bank sector. The not-for-profit agencies that serve the most marginalized and most vulnerable among us.
We need only look at the continued and unrelenting growth in demand our own local food bank has been experiencing to see the frightening proof of that statistic.
In my twenty years of ministry I have been involved in the work and ministry of food banks and outreach ministries from Ontario to BC and back again. I’ve watched as smaller and smaller towns have had to set up their own food banks to meet the demands.
I was part of the decision to take a simple voluntary food cupboard in the office of the Minnedosa Church, and turn it into a Food Bank with a client list, and an organization that put together monthly hampers designed to meet the nutritional needs of a household for a week … it was a decision and process opposed by many within the Church and the community because they couldn’t believe it was needed …
It was needed … it was used … and it is growing …
To speak of my personal experience for a moment, I think I have had a unique opportunity in my life journey to have experienced the work and ministry of Food Banks from a variety of vantage points.
In 2000 when I arrived in Minnedosa my first experience of the regional food bank was dropping off the Thanksgiving donations of produce, canned goods and cash at Samaritan House in Brandon. I still vividly remember walking into their tiny cramped little space and bringing in boxes of stuff for them … I was shocked … but I was hooked.
Over the next ten years, the folks at Samaritan House became and remain friends, and my involvement with them expanded and diversified. Together they helped as we expanded the food programme in Minnedosa, they invited me to help when the CP Holiday Train made its annual trips across Canada and stopped in Brandon and Minnedosa, we organized a Tom Jackson lunch concert in the Elemetary School in Minnedosa and collected thousands of pounds of food for the Food Banks, and over and over we worked together to raise awareness and collect much needed food for an insatiable and ever growing demand.
Then when my employment as a United Church minister was terminated and I spent 13 months working under contract for the Feds as the Homelessness Coordinator for the City of Brandon, I got to see the other side of the table as we worked to secure funding for needed equipment and programming to serve the vulnerable in Brandon. I also took time in that position to visit the dozen or so shelterless individuals who lived in the alleys and under bridges around Brandon’s downtown – listening to their stories, hearing about their experiences and trying to understand why they were truly homeless …
Then when that contract ended, I experienced the Samaritan House Food Bank in a wholly different way … I became a client.
I stopped by when I was able and volunteered my time and my strength, and deeply appreciated the boxes and bags of food that I was able to take home to supplement our food stocks.
For a very long 18 months I worked a variety of part-time positions. I delivered a weekly newspaper – at 40 years of age I became a newspaper boy once again, I was paid to write a monthly column on poverty and homelessness, I worked part-time pulpit supply in a Presbyterian Church, I worked as a research assistant for the Office of the President at Brandon University, I worked as a research assistant for the Department of Rural Development helping prepare an academic magazine for publication, I worked as part-time relief cashier at a local bookstore, and as needed I drove the pick-up & deliver truck for Samaritan House gathering the food donated by stores and businesses and bringing it back to the food bank.
All of that work barely covered the cost of living for me and the kids, but it helped me appreciate the absolute necessity having bread programmes, hamper programmes and other food programmes truly are.
Without Samaritan House there would have been times when even having a loaf of bread would have been a challenge …  fortunately, Samaritan House was there to supply day old loaves and extras like bagels that would have otherwise been out of reach …
I learned by experience how quickly life can turn and how we can move from being a benefactor to a recipient …
I was fortunate, because I knew my set back was temporary, and that in time something would pull me out of it and I would find my way back to full time employment. But others – tens of thousands across our country today are not so lucky. With the loss of industries, factories and jobs, the number of people needing food banks and the assistance they offer is growing every week …
And yet, we are blessed and fortunate to live in a country that has so much wealth …
We need to re-orient our thinking … not to something new and startling, but back to something we’ve always known.
When I was a Beaver leader we taught our colony the simple idea of “Sharing, sharing, sharing” – we stressed the importance of working together and looking out for one another. We valued cooperation and compassion …
As a nation, it wasn’t that long ago that we collectively embodied the SAME values … we teach our children those ideas, we look back with nostalgic fondness on those ideas … we need to just take them down off the shelf, dust them off and reclaim them for ourselves.
And it starts by living our lives with an honest appreciation of how blessed and fortunate we truly are. Instead of opening the fridge and looking around and saying “there’s nothing to eat …” we need to open our fridge and look at it and say “wow, thanks …”
Then, the next step – one as people of faith, we can rightly claim – is to go out into the world and share that understanding of appreciation and gratitude with others.
When people complain about how high our taxes are, instead of agreeing and grumbling along, we should dare to smile and say – “Yeah, our taxes may seem high, but look at the amazing array of things we benefit from because of them … Hospitals, school, roads, communication, old age security, safe food, safe travel, the post office, cbc, the police, fire and paramedic services, ORNGE helicopters and planes … the list goes on and on …” We may think we have it bad, but really – we have it pretty good.
I remember having a beer once with a Cabinet Minister in Manitoba just prior to an election, and saying to him “Why don’t you run a campaign outlining ALL the things we get for our tax dollar, and instead of offering hollow promises of tax cuts, invite us to appreciate ALL of the benefits we enjoy BECAUSE of our taxes?”
He laughed and said – “you know, you have a point. But we’d never get re-elected because people don’t want to know where their tax dollars really go, they want to know the gov’t is willing to cut taxes if asked …”
I will not apologize for saying then, AND now, that such an approach is unfaithful. Cutting taxes means cutting programmes that hurt the most vulnerable and marginalized – the very people we are called to care for and care about. Being a people appreciative of life and all it offers us, means being willing to share the blessings and bounty with others …
That is the Thanksgiving Message we should be shouting from the roof tops as we strive to be a faithful, faith-filled and grateful people.
To love lives of faithful gratitude, appreciating what we have and remembering to share ... 
 
May it be so – thanks be to God … Let us pray …

No comments:

Post a Comment